Sunday, December 23, 2012

Tales of Catawba, by RV Whitener

This is once removed from the Jackson Creek line but nevertheless, an amazing find.   My father was given an old leatherbound typed book given to his grandmother Rosalie Whitener Prevost who married Roscoe Lee Prevost.

Rosalie was a beautiful young lady who married my great grandfather when he lived in Hickory working for the furniture industry after he left the Jackson Creek area in the early 1900s.

This book was a labor of love given to her by her uncle who was a University of Virginia History professor and which was written in 1922.   Mr. Whitener died two years later in February of 1924.

This 100 page book tells the rich history of Heinrich Weidner, my great grandmothers great great grandfather who arrived on the ship Molly in Philadelphia on October 17, 1741.   The book tells of the The Whiteners, The Wilfongs, and the Dellingers   . . . (and some others).  I'll scan and post soon.

This book was one of my great grandmother's most prized possessions.  She gave it with great care to my Dad who just entrusted it to me.  I can't wait to read it and to share it with Heinrich's many ancestors.

First page


No comments:

Post a Comment